accent chair, affordable art, armchair, Art, bohemia sofa, bohemia style, BTO, bungalow singapore, condo designs, expats in singapore, expats living, good quality sofa, HDB, home and decor, interior design, Orchard singapore, Singapore expats, sofa designs, stylish designer sofa, tan boon liat building
The term chair-and-a-half is the somewhat clumsy and cumbersome name for an extremely comfortable piece of furniture—an over-sized chair that is wider than a standard chair but narrower than a love seat.
Who Uses a Chair and a Half?
This is a piece of furniture that is either absolutely adored or absolutely hated. Surprisingly, both these emotions are aroused by the same feature: This piece of furniture is wider and deeper than a usual seat. Whether you love it or hate it entirely depends on your own personal style of sitting. If you are someone who likes to sit upright in a chair with your feet firmly planted on the ground, you are not likely to be a fan of this piece. But if you prefer to pull your legs up when you sit, lean back into the pillows, or like to curl up in your seat, then this may soon become your very favorite piece of furniture.
A reclining version of the chair-and-a-half is sometimes used by those who find it difficult to lie down or sleep in a conventional bed for health reasons. It allows the user to adjust their position to their liking, while also providing more room than a regular reclining chair.
Where to Use
So where would you use this piece of furniture? Looking around your home, you will see that many spaces that call for a chair-and-a-half.
- Ironically, a small room can provide the perfect fit for this large chair. In a room where floor space is at a premium, a love seat may take up too much valuable space, and a chair-and-a-half can be used instead.
- One of the more obvious places for a chair-and-a-half is a family room. Since this is a chair you associate with relaxing, you can use it to create a cozy corner for curling up with a book or with another special person or pet.
- Use a reclining chair-and-a-half wherever you might want to watch television, curl up with a book, or even taking a nap.
- A bedroom or a guestroom is another good spot for a chair and a half. In the guest room, you should be able to find a model that can do double duty as a sleeper.
While a chair-and-half can serve simply as a piece of seating furniture, there are also design variations that can serve other functions.
- Sleepers don’t have to be large sofas. You can also find chair-and-a-half sleepers that can function as twin-size sofa beds. This type comes in handy in smaller homes when you cannot spare an extra room for guests.
- A reclining chair-and-a-half works well in a family or media room, where it is ideal for taking a brief nap or watching a movie in a more relaxed position.
- A glider version of the chair-and-a-half is great for children’s rooms. It can easily accommodate more than one child wanting to cuddle up with a parent for story time.
- Pair a chair and a half with a matching over-sized ottoman. This pairing not only provides the opportunity to stretch out in comfort but also provides an additional feature—precious storage space inside the ottoman.
Just because a chair is over-sized does not necessarily mean it has to be overstuffed. As with any chair, a chair-and-a-half comes in a wide variety of styles and sizes.
A Variety of Styles
The Inspiration Chair by American Leather is very sleek and angular and is equipped with metal legs. This chair is at home in a modern and uncluttered setting. However, you can just as easily find more traditional or transitional chairs with more curves, pillows, or an overstuffed look. You can also find different styles, materials, and treatments for legs.
These chairs are available with various chair back styles, as well. You can just as easily find a chair-and-a-half in tight-back construction as with loose cushions.
A chair-and-a-half is available in a wide variety of arm styles, or it can even be armless—a good solution for smaller spaces. An armless chair-and-a-half also makes it easier to get in and out of the chair—one of the most common complaints leveled against these extra-large furniture pieces. If you are looking for comfort, find one with contemporary or traditionally shaped arms.
As with any other chair or upholstered furniture, you will be able to find a chair-and-a-half in a variety of fabric and leather coverings.
If you are in Singapore and is in need of an update for your couch, then you can contact us. The usual cost for reupholster/upholstery will start from SGD $800 and above for a 2 seater or an armchair. If you custom made a sofa in Singapore, the price starts from $2300 and onwards.
Whatapps (+65 90305057 , Vince ) you can speak directly to us or email: info(at)centrepiece.com.sg to discuss your order. We don’t have call centres or customer service departments, you speak directly to the people making your sofa.
Shop @: Centrepiece Lazada
Find sales/clear stock @ : Carousell